Montag, 15. September 2014

Programming takes time!

One thing people who don't do development don't easily understand is that the time spent doing something repetitively is how you figure out how it works. So when users ask for features that are needed early in the life of a product, for example, where fotodesignarri is now, while I recognize there's a need to simplify and automate the design process for end users, for me as a designer, the repetition of redoing the programming is how I figure out how to address the issue of user enabled web design.

I can't tell you how many times I've programmed quick fixes in the last 30 years, and then had to live with those foolish decisions for years afterwards. Two years later when people ask why it works that foolish way, I have to say it's because I delivered too quickly. I'm now working again on something I've already done half a dozen times over the last two years. This time, I see how to organize it. The other 7 times I was fumbling around in the dark. How long did this take? In this case -- 3 years. But I did wait. So now I'm fairly confident I have the right answer.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen